The FIFA World Football Museum collects, exhibits and preserves significant artefacts, documents and photographs of international association football and its governing body。 We aim to connect and inspire people with relics from football’s heritage, showcasing how the sport has grown from humble beginnings to become a global culture。
The permanent exhibition shows more than 1000 exhibits from our evolving collection including memorabilia, texts, and pictures from the FIFA archives。
Take a tour through every World Cup since the inaugural tournament held in Uruguay, 1930. Our permanent exhibition has individual showcases filled with items from every edition, all located next to the World Cup Trophy.
These are the notes taken by German referee, Rudolf Kreitlein, during the bad tempered 1966 World Cup quarter-final match between England and Argentina at Wembley. Kreitlein sent off the Argentina captain Antonio Rattín in the 35th minute. Refusing to leave, the player pleaded his innocence and - as the referee notes reveal - asked for an interpreter. However, the notes also make it clear that the Argentinean had already been given a firm final warning. Eventually, he reluctantly left the pitch.
The game, and this incident, played a direct role in the introduction of yellow and red cards. After the quarter-final, English referee Ken Aston, who had been involved in persuading Rattín to leave the pitch, was in a car when he was stopped by traffic lights. The amber and red lights inspired him and, at the next World Cup in 1970, cards were used for the first time.
Each of the FIFA Women’s World Cups has its own showcase in the museum, and the tournament's trophy is also on display.
This is the kick-off ball from a record breaking game, where the USA’s Carli Lloyd scored the first hat-trick and the fastest goals ever seen in a Women’s Final. Her first and second goals came in the 3rd and 5th minutes, but it was her third in the 16th that lives longest in the memory. A stunning shot from inside her own half, it was nominated for the 2015 Puskás Award. Lloyd's 14 minute hat-trick helped send the USA on its way to becoming World Champions for a record third time, comfortably beating previous winners Japan 5-2. The result was the biggest win of any Women’s World Cup Final.
Football inspires people from all backgrounds, all over the world. The museum pays tribute this unique ability by offering guests the chance to encounter remarkable individuals, and to discover their personal football story.
In some parts of the world, Juju witchdoctors have been known to try and influence football matches with a bocio – a type of blocked-up whistle that is designed to make refereeing decisions go their team’s way. The whistle also has locks and chains in a bid to keep opponents at bay. At this time, it is unknown whether a bocio has ever actually influenced results – but there’s no proof that they haven’t either.
The museum manages the FIFA Documentation Centre and, as a result, holds thousands of historic texts, official documents, letters and books related to the game and its development since the early 20th century.
Formed in 1886 by the four British associations, the International Football Association Board (IFAB) was expanded to include FIFA in 1913. Today its main duty is to discuss and rule on proposed alterations to the Laws of the Game. Recently it approved the introduction of goal line technology and, in a 2014 World Cup game against Honduras, French striker Karim Benzema scored the first goal in the finals that was approved by the innovation.
Which South American football association was the first to join FIFA? How does my country’s performance at the World Cup rank against others around the globe? What does the official national team jersey of Bhutan, Montserrat or Eritrea look like?
The museum commemorates all 211 Member Associations of FIFA, from the multiple World Cup winners to those yet to even qualify, with a unique rainbow of jerseys that features video content for every shirt in the collection.
As well as exhibits and artefacts, the museum also collects images related to FIFA tournaments, football events and the individuals who made, and continue to make, the game what it is. The varied collection of images stems back to the late 1800s, demonstrating how football has changed and developed over the years. Whether its previously unseen shots of the 1934 World Cup in Italy, images of World Cup runners-up Czechoslovakia returning home to a hero's welcome or obscure photographs of Ethiopian stadia in the 1960s, the museum's collection deals in the unique memories so often attached to historic pictures.
- World Cup 1966: Referee’s notepad used in the England - Argentina quarter-final at Wembley. World Cup 1966: Referee’s notepad used in the England - Argentina quarter-final at Wembley. | © FIFA Museum 2 Sep 2015 http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_L1。jpg world-cup-1966-referee-s-notepad-used-in-the-england-argentina-quarter-500472 http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_L5.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_L4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_L3.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_L2.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_P4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_P3.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_P2。jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/72/500472_P1。jpg
- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015: Kick-off ball from the Final in Vancouver FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015: Kick-off ball from the Final in Vancouver | © FIFA Museum 17 Aug 2015 http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_L1.jpg fifa-women-s-world-cup-2015-kick-off-ball-from-the-final-in-vancouver-500469 http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_L5。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_L4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_L3.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_L2。jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_P4。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_P3.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_P2。jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/69/500469_P1。jpg
- Bocio from Hounkpatin the Elder, Voodoo figure Benin, 1950s Bocio from Hounkpatin the Elder, Voodoo figure Benin, 1950s | © FIFA Museum 7 Sep 2015 http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_L1.jpg bocio-from-hounkpatin-the-elder-voodoo-figure-benin-1950s-500471 http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_L5。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_L4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_L3.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_L2。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_P4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_P3.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_P2。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/71/500471_P1.jpg
- International Football Association Board (IFAB) minutes from the meeting when FIFA joined in 1913 International Football Association Board (IFAB) minutes from the meeting when FIFA joined in 1913 | © FIFA Museum 3 Sep 2015 http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_L1.jpg international-football-association-board-ifab-minutes-from-the-meeting-500470 http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_L5。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_L4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_L3.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_L2.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_P4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_P3.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_P2.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/70/500470_P1.jpg
- Official Jersey of the Bhutan national team, 2015 Official Jersey of the Bhutan national team, 2015 | © FIFA Museum 6 Aug 2015 http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_L1。jpg official-jersey-of-the-bhutan-national-team-2015-500473 http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_L5.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_L4.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_L3。jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_L2。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_P4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_P3.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_P2。jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/73/500473_P1。jpg
- Homecoming parade for World Cup runners-up Czechoslovakia, Prague 1934 Homecoming parade for World Cup runners-up Czechoslovakia, Prague 1934 | © FIFA Museum 30 Aug 2015 http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_L1.jpg homecoming-parade-in-for-world-cup-runners-up-czechoslovakia-prague-19-500474 http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_L5.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_L4。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_L3.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_L2.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_P4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_P3.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_P2。jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Collection/Generic/50/04/74/500474_P1。jpg
- Stade Municipal Addis Abeba, Ethiopia 1967 Stade Municipal Addis Abeba, Ethiopia 1967 | © FIFA Museum 8 Dec 2015 http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_L1。jpg stade-municipal-addis-abeba-ethopia-1967-500487 http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_L5。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_L4.jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_L3.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_L2。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_P4.jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_P3。jpg http://img。fifamuseum。com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_P2。jpg http://img.diablosnow.com/mm/Photo/Generic/Generic/50/04/87/500487_P1.jpg
For any enquiries about our collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.